Hiring legal representation for any matter can be a daunting task; but for personal injury victims, the process can be overwhelming and affect their recovery. Many personal injury victims simply do not know where to start, what their rights are, and have many more important questions about pursuing a claim. By taking the time to consult with a personal injury lawyer, victims will have the opportunity to not only discuss their accident but also to gain insight into how the case will progress and gain other crucial information pertaining to their claim.
A personal injury lawyer works to ensure each client receives just compensation for their damages while holding the at-fault party or parties accountable for their negligent actions. In order to be effective, the lawyer will need to meet with the victim. It’s recommended that injury victims make a list of their concerns and questions to ask during an initial consultation with a lawyer so they feel comfortable and informed from the start. Additionally, the questions and concerns they share will help the attorney understand their needs and priorities. For those unsure of how to begin formulating such a list, the following common questions may be helpful:
- What is the personal injury claim process? A client’s stress can be reduced by being made aware of and understanding how the legal process surrounding a personal injury claim will unfold from the beginning. Upon selecting an attorney, the claim will proceed as follows:
- An investigation of the facts and corresponding collection of evidence
- Determining liability
- Communicating a demand for payment of damages to the responsible party or parties
- Filing a lawsuit, which brings with it the discovery process, depositions, experts, and much more
- What questions should I ask my lawyer? Plaintiffs must hire legal representation with extensive experience successfully resolving Texas personal injury claims. Not all questions a client prepares need to be about the accident itself. It’s crucial to ask any lawyer you talk to or meet with questions about their related experience. Clients can ask a potential lawyer the following to better understand their background and practice:
- How many years have you handled personal injury cases like mine?
- Have you successfully resolved cases that have gone to trial?
- Does your firm have adequate staffing and financial resources available to support my case?
- What are your fees? Will I need to pay anything if the case is not successful?
- What relevant licenses and certifications do you hold?
- What do I need to do about my accident? What the victims do following their accident can have a tremendous impact on a resulting lawsuit. For clients, it’s recommended to take photos of all evidence, including body wounds as well as property damage, but only if it is safe and a medical professional has evaluated you. Additionally, any needed medical treatment should be sought out immediately and all related records and receipts should be kept. It is also helpful for victims to write down as much as they can remember about their accident and the resulting injuries.
- Will my case go to court? An injury victim should ask their lawyer whether or not their case will be litigated, which can be an overwhelming experience. In some situations, a personal injury case does not go to trial and can be resolved outside of court. A personal injury lawyer can assess each case and determine the strength of the associated claims.
- What types of damages can I claim in my case? A personal injury lawyer will review the facts of each case to determine which types of damages the victim incurred. An attorney will be able to determine if noneconomic damages like pain and suffering apply based on a consultation with the victim and investigation into the facts.
- Are you familiar with Corpus Christi courts? It’s important that the personal injury lawyer you hire is not only familiar with Texas law but also has extensive experience in the court in which your case will be filed. Lawyers with a demonstrated ability to win cases for clients in a particular court can guide clients through their case with ease.
Corpus Christi Personal Injury Lawyer
Accidents that result in injuries can leave victims feeling isolated and helpless with numerous questions. With the support and guidance of Corpus Christi personal injury lawyer John Flood, personal injury victims can start to regain a sense of normalcy and receive the compensation to which they are entitled. No one should be made a victim of the same accident twice. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured or killed in an accident, contact John Flood to get started on your case consultation.