Pedestrians can be found all across the state of Texas. Some people walk, jog, or run in an attempt to focus on their health and well-being, while others are avoiding the use of certain forms of transportation. As such, pedestrian accidents have been on the rise in recent years. While today’s vehicles have advanced safety features to protect occupants in a crash, a person walking down the street doesn’t have any protection. That is why pedestrian injuries caused by being hit by a vehicle are often life-threatening.
What are the Causes?
While a variety of factors can cause or contribute to a Corpus Christi pedestrian accident, some of the most common causes include:
- Alcohol: Most accidents involving a pedestrian occur on weekend nights. Even slight intoxication can affect your awareness and ability to exercise sound judgment. Drivers who are drunk often speed, run red lights, or swerve onto sidewalks.
- Backing Up: Vehicles backing up hit many pedestrians – whether out of a driveway or in a parking lot. In most backing out of driveway accidents, the driver who reversed into a pedestrian is responsible for the collision. A parking lot has a high density of both pedestrians and vehicles.
- Distracted Driving: Many pedestrian accidents are caused by inattentiveness or negligence. Drivers talk on cell phones, program their GPS, eat, apply makeup or engage in other activities. When their hands are off the wheel and their eyes are off the road, they put other road users in danger.
- Failure to Yield: Pedestrians have the right of way. When motorists do not allow pedestrians to cross the street first, the chances of a collision are much higher. Pedestrians may also correctly assume they have the right of way and proceed into a walkway regardless of traffic.
- Nighttime: More cars hit pedestrians when the sun is going down and at night. When daylight savings time ends, and it is darker outside earlier, police see a rise in pedestrian-car accidents.
- Speeding: Higher vehicle speeds increase both the likelihood of a pedestrian being struck by a car and the severity of injury.
Corpus Christi Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Walking outside is a great way to get exercise and fresh air; and right now it’s a good stress reliever during uncertain times. Pedestrian accidents can occur even if you are walking along a designated crosswalk, sidewalk, or other path. If you or your loved one were injured after being struck by a vehicle, you may be entitled to financial damages. At Flood Trial Lawyers, we seek justice for the injured. Our pedestrian accident lawyers understand how important the compensation for medical bills and/or lost wages is to your family. To schedule your free consultation, contact us today.